Prep Time: 30’
Cooking Time: 60’
What you need:
- 6 Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Large Onion, halved and sliced
- 10 Garlic Cloves, peeled and halved
- 2 Large Carrots, sliced
- 3 Medium Potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 Cups of Broccoli Flowerets
- A Handful of Cherry Tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp Cooking Oil (I use sunflower)
- 2 Tbsp of Sea Salt
- ½ Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- ½ Tbsp Ground White Pepper
- 1 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1 tsp of Cumin
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tbsp of Dried Basil
- 1 Tbsp of Dried Thyme
- 4 Cardamom seeds
- A handful of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- Half a lemon
- Approximately 1L of Chicken Stock
Nothing beats stews in winter (maybe soups do haha!) but stews are so heartwarming and filling and comforting in this weather aren’t they?
And the best tool to use for stews is a cast iron pot!
Here’s how you can make my Chicken and Vegetable Stew!
Always prepare (cut and chop etc) all your ingredients before you start!
Heat the oil in a large saucepan or cast iron pot and make sure the oil is hot, cook the chicken breasts until brown. Remove onto a plate.
Using the same oil, fry the onions until soft and brown (about 5 minutes) then add the ginger, cardamom, garlic, carrots and potatoes, stir and let cook for 5 minutes, to coat and flavor them only.
Add the breasts to your pot on top of the vegetables, cover with 1 liter of stock, add all your spices then the cherry tomatoes and bring to a boil then simmer for one hour.
A few minutes before you’re done, add the broccoli flowerets, they only need a few minutes to cook, longer than that will make them fall apart.
This dish is best served with Basmati rice.
Or if you’re staying away from starch, just enjoy it with some nice warm bread!
And Bon Appetit!