Prep Time: 20min
Cooking Time: 2hr
What you need:
- 500g Organic Beef Cubes for Stew
- 1 Large Onion, Chopped
- 2 Large Carrots, Diced
- 4 Tbsp Cooking Oil (I use sunflower)
- 1 Can of Cannellini Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 1 Can of Butter Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 1 Can of Black Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 1 Can of Borlotti Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 1 Can of Red Kidney Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 1 Can (400g) of Chopped Tomatoes
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
- 100g of Fresh Coriander, Finely Chopped
- Sea Salt & Pepper (To Taste)
- Approximately 2L of Water
This recipe is very similar to my Hearty Beef and Vegetable Stew. It’s cooked pretty much the same, with a few different ingredients.
Stews remind me of home, of my mom and her cooking. She cooked a lot of stews, and one ingredient she always put in her cooking that I still can’t find, a huge amount of love that I’m still building for my one daughter!
Here’s how you can make this Beefy 5 Bean Stew inspired by my hearty beef stew, therefore inspired by my mom J
Always prepare (cut and chop etc) all your ingredients before you start!
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and make sure the oil is piping hot and sear the beef cubes until brown, only hot oil will sear your meat beautifully, about 5 minutes. Remove onto a plate.
Using the same oil, fry the onions until soft and brown (about 5 minutes) then add all your carrots, stir and let cook for 5 minutes, to coat and flavor them only.
Put the beef back in the pot, season with salt and pepper and cover with 1 liter of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for one hour.
After this time has passed, the water should have reduced by half if not more; prepare your 1 liter of hot boiling water; add your 5 beans to the beef along with the crushed garlic, the chopped coriander and the tomatoes and then cover again with the hot water, you might need less than 1 liter here. Bring to a boil again and simmer for another hour, stirring occasionally.
You can have it with rice, I like Egyptian rice cooked with vermicelli, and chunks of fresh radish or green capsicum!
And Bon Appetit!